I’m very late to the game answering this, but at the end of August Liquid Independence from the Freedom 35 Blog nominated me for the sunshine blogger award. Thanks, Liquid! Here are my answers to the questions he asked (and keep reading to the bottom to see who I nominate).
1. Would you rather receive $100,000 today, or $200,000 eight years from now?
A: Since $100,000 would only grow to $159,000 in eight years if I invested it at 6%, I should probably take the $200,000 in eight years. But to be honest, I’d take the $100,000 now. I’d invest $40,000, use $50,000 for a down payment on a house (my big financial goal right now) and use $10,000 of it for another trip to Europe. Maybe not the financially smartest move, but that’s what I would do.
2. Would you rather be less attractive and rich or extremely attractive and poor?
This is a tough question! I think I’d probably prefer to be extremely attractive and poor, because you can always make more money, but changing your appearance is much harder. That said, if by “poor” you mean “destined to be poor forever,” then I’d choose to be less attractive and rich, because appearances don’t matter all that much.
3. If someone came up to you and handed you a book and you started reading it and realized it was a book about your entire life, would you continue to read it until the end?
No. I don’t want to know how my life will turn out. I might read a little ahead, say ten years, because a lot of big things will happen in my life in the next ten years, but I would never read to the end. What if it’s a terrible ending? It would suck the joy out of the rest of my life.
4. If you could instantly learn any language in the world, which would it be?
Italian. Not that useful, but that language is so beautiful. Every word sounds like music to my ears.
5. What impact do you want to leave the world?
I want to leave the world a better place. I want to help climate change by working for an environmentally responsible company. I want to minimize my impact on the earth through my consumption and possessions. I want to help people make better decisions about their money to keep them out of poverty and debt. I want to advocate for healthier cities that are dense, livable and sustainable. I want to eat mindfully and help support a strong local farming economy that doesn’t degrade our natural environment, but enhances it.
Right now I’m doing all of those things, and I am so grateful that I’m in a position to do them.
Now it’s your turn! Here are the other bloggers I’m tagging to complete the Sunshine Blogger Award challenge:
And my questions are:
- What is your biggest “brush with a celebrity” moment?
- What is your dream vacation?
- If you didn’t work for a living, what would you do?
- How much money would you need to feel 100% financially secure?
- If I came over for dinner, what would you cook me? (I like everything)
Thanks again for the nomination Liquid and I look forward to my nominee’s answers! Also, feel free to answer any of these questions in the comments!